Thursday, May 29, 2014

Halifax
Latitude and Longitude: 44°38’N 63°35'W
Population: 390 096
Population Density : 71 Km2
Landform Region: Appalachians
Climate Region: Atlantic Maritime
Type of Industries: Primary Industries (Fishing,Agriculture,Natural Gas Extraction, Mining, Forestry)
Tourist Attractions: Maritime Museum of The Atlantic, Citadel Hill, Pier 21, Art Gallery of Nova Scotia.
National Parks: Halifax Bay Wetlands National Park, Kejimkujik National Park, Fundy National Park
Immigration Population: 27,410 (2006)
Diversity Of Halifax: Annual Welcome Barbeque, Fusion Halifax


At my first destination of this long road trip I was so excited to get started that I wasn’t even paying attention to the road and missed my exit. I decided that before checking into my hotel I should checkout Pier 21. When I arrived at Pier 21 it was like a blast from the past. I could imagine all of the immigrants sitting there just hoping that they would make the cut and not be sent back to the country that they came from. I was also one of the lucky people who was able to see the Pier 21 logbook. After I was done at the museum I checked into my hotel and had a large complimentary breakfast. I was so lucky that my hotel was on the banks of chocolate lake because it is an amazing view. I was so excited about my trip I didn’t realize how tired was and took a thirty minute power nap. I decided to relax for the rest of the day because I had a long trip ahead of me. So I spent the rest of my day roaming the Halifax Public Gardens, which are one of the oldest Victorian gardens in North America. After I was done there I went back to the hotel and went to bed without any dinner.


To start out day two in Halifax I went to breakfast at a very posh eggs and bacon restaurant in the heart of downtown. I decided that I needed to see the beautiful outdoors of Halifax, so off  to Kejimkujik National Park I went. It was wonderful to see the un-touched forested plains of Halifax. Well I was in the park I was so lucky to cross Little River and Big Dam Lake. I also was able to see the Ribbon Snake, a Black Bear and the Painted Turtle. For lunch I was able to hunt down a white-tailed deer and I cooked it over the fire. The fat really added to the flavour. Before I left I decided to see some of the really fine art in Halifax, so I visited the Alexander Keith’s Brewery. Although I wasn’t old enough to sample any of the beer, they took me on the tour of the brewery and it was amazing to see how much work it really takes just to make a single bottle of beer. The tour was also good because of how passionate our tour guide was on beer. I decided not to stay the night in Halifax and to start my drive to Montreal.
  

This is a picture I took in front of the great Pier 21
A cool tree I saw in kejimkujik national park
A great shot I took just outside of Keith’s Brewery

No comments:

Post a Comment